Pregnancy is a beautiful time in a woman’s life, as the baby develops and grows, he/she can put strain on the mothers changing body.
Reflexology is a wonderful therapy, which can help alleviate many of the common pregnancy symptoms. Having regular reflexology treatments helps to bring about balance and harmony to the body, reduce stress and promote relaxation
Benefits of Reflexology
- A reduction in morning sickness, all day sickness and vomiting which persists past the three month stage of pregnancy. Reflexology is recommended by the National Maternity Hospital, Holles Street, Dublin for this problem.
- Helps relieve heartburn and indigestion, constipation and haemorrhoids, low back pain, labour sciatica and symphysis pubis dysfunction.
- Helps with fluid retention
- Better sleep
- Improved energy levels
- Prepares the body for labour by balancing the body systems, especially the endocrine system which governs the labour process.
- The length of labour can be very much reduced by having regular reflexology treatments in the weeks prior to the expected date of delivery.
- Reflexology can be used during labour to help boost energy levels, and it aids deep muscle relaxation between contractions. It helps with pain control by stimulating the production of natural endorphins. Partners can be taught the areas of the foot to treat during labour.
- After the birth, Reflexology babies are very calm, suckle better and are less prone to colic.
There is growing evidence that new mothers who have a few treatments after the birth of their baby have a faster recovery rate and less chance of developing post natal depression.
It is advisable to wait until you are 12 weeks pregnant before you avail of a reflexology treatment.
Reflexology is now covered by most health insurers depending on your health care plan.